The Beehive

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Make them Stop!




"I don't wanna go to school" she says. "Why not, sweetheart?"
"Because there's hitting at school. All the kids hit me and push me. I wanna stay here with you. Can I watch a video?"

Every morning we go through the same routine.

When I ask M who, specifically, is causing her physical (and perhaps emotional) pain, she mentions a particular boy in her class who is a little bigger than the rest but doesn't strike me as the violent type.
"Have you talked to Teacher J about this?" "Yes."
I also have spoken to both of her teachers about this and watched for signs of abuse myself. So far the most I've witnessed (while remaining hidden from sight) is a tap on my daughter's back, followed by her whirling around and yelling "NO HITTING!" in the offender's face. To say that M is a little "sensitive" is an understatement.
On more than one occasion, she drew stares from strangers when we tried to get her to hold our hands while crossing a very busy street. "OWWWWWWWW!!!! You are HURTING me!" she yells as we try unsuccefully to grab onto her jacket. It's hard not to look guilty when people are giving you dirty looks even if you are sure that you didn't actually inflict any pain.
Recently, M tried to convince us that we not only tripped her, but also slammed her into the corner of the coffee table even though we were both at least 10 feet away. I was actually cooking dinner at the time. "The baby pushed me into his toy and then made me fall on it" "STOP IT, BABY!" she screams.

The next morning I notice another gray hair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home