The Beehive

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Starting the New Year off right

Even though I'm notoriously terrible at making and keeping resolutions for more than, um...48 hours, I do have a short list of goals that I think might be attainable this year. I know that hardly anyone is actually reading this blog, but it does help me to get my head straight, so here goes:

1) Appreciate and enjoy my family more. That sounds a little like a cheesy Ad Council message, but it's kind of true. I really do get too caught up in the day-to-day stresses that are involved in caring for/managing the lives of 2 little people that I sometimes forget to laugh. I need to laugh more. Maybe I also need to consume more alcohol. hmmm...

2) Accept as many invitations from real live friends as possible. We humans are social creatures. Sometimes I have to remind myself that there is life out there beyond the Web and that it might be OK to have real interaction sometimes. I also would like to reconnect with friends that don't have children (if I have any left!)

3) Once a month make a date with myself. I think it might be good for me (and fun of course) to give myself permission to take myself out to lunch, go to a museum or plan to sketch in the park. I sometimes really miss my former carefree child-free life.

4) Accept my body and set realistic goals. I'm not going to say anything else about this.

5) Be good to my husband. He's as stressed out as I am. (Maybe even more stressed out these days.)

6) Be a good listener. Let go of my ego. Realize it's not always all about me.

7) Let go of any and all grudges and past regrets/anger/sadness. (not an easy one for me but worth working on)

8) Carry a journal for recording ideas. Continue to generate and pitch new, fresh ideas for books and other creative projects to anyone who might be able to help make it happen.

9) Try to see the whole picture (see #1, #5, #7)

10) Take my vitamins. Last year I resolved to wear daily sunscreen + moisturizer and for the most part, I have. I think taking vitamins is a good idea. Especially calcium. Especially now that I'm (gulp) pushing forty.


That is all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Now THESE are good goals. Inspiring.

I especially like #2. Kabuki, anyone?

10:15 PM  
Blogger Green said...

I'm reading your blog. And I don't have kids. If I did, I would have somebody else shop for a stroller for me, after reading your above posts about how similar all the names are, because if I did it my head would explode.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home