The Beehive

Monday, February 05, 2007

The Mating Game




There have been some interesting developments lately at the Beehive.
This was overheard in the car after a playdate:

Q: "When we grow up, I am going to marry you"
M: "Then, we can have a baby"
Q: "I have a penis and you have a big hole"
M: "Ok, but first, your penis needs to get bigger"
Q: "...and be covered in hair"
Me:...?!?!?
M: "My BUTT is covered in hair" he he heee hee hee (giggling from the back seat)

I bought M 2 books on the facts of life: "Where do I Come From" by Peter Mayle (circa 1970) and, (much easier to read without turning purple) "Mommy Laid an Egg" by Babette Cole. M was fascinated. I realized that in order to be able to read either of these books to her I had to do a little bit of creative editing. In other words, though I think it's important for her to understand how the egg and sperm meet and create life, however, I'm not quite ready for her to learn about "the funny little tickle that feels like a sneeze when mommy and daddy make love" (Peter Mayle's book) etc.
So I glossed over the parts about sex and focused on the parts about conception. I think when she's a little older I'll be better able to tackle that one. For now, she seems satisfied learning about the "great egg race" (Babette Cole's book) inside mommy's body.

5 Comments:

Blogger michael said...

oh. my. god.

shocking.

simply shocking.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Alisyn said...

ACK!!

I have not had to cross this bridge yet. It can't be far off, though...

8:54 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Holy shit!

We're all about animals mating around here. That is so much more...human.

7:25 AM  
Blogger happypix said...

Yeah...she seems pretty obsessed with babies and conception recently. (We try to downplay it around here.) Almost all the girls in her preschool class were pretending to be pregnant (hiding dolls under their shirt, pretending to nurse them, etc). I guess it's all normal...just wasn't expecting any of this for a couple more years.

9:12 PM  
Blogger michael said...

you know, as it turns out, there's someone living in my house whose butt is *also* covered in hair!

but it's not me.

no, not me.

xm

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home